St. Anne's Museum is located in the former rooms of St. Anne's Convent founded in 1502 to house the unmarried daughters of Lübeck's merchants. 17 years after the convent was completed with an adjoining church, the institution was closed again in the wake of the Reformation. After being used as a poorhouse and prison and experiencing a large fire in 1843, St. Anne's Museum was opened in 1915 on the restored premises. For over 100 years, it has housed great masterpieces and treasures from churches, monasteries and the Town Hall as well as small items from everyday life from old homes. The paintings of German and Dutch masters from the 15th and 16th centuries such as Lucas Cranach, Hans Memling, Hans Kemmer and Jacob van Utrecht, represent special highlights.