St. Jacob’s has been the church of seafarers since the Middle Ages.
This three-naved brick hall church was built in 1334 and consecrated together with St. Mary's and St. Peter's. Since the church did not suffer any damage during the 2nd World War, the boxed pew and historical organ are still intact. The small Stellwagen organ is one of the best preserved organs from the 16th century in Northern Germany. A lifeboat commemorates the sinking of the four-masted barque "Pamir" in 1957. It is located in the North tower chapel which is now the "National Memorial for Civilian Shipping". St. Jacob's is a memorial site for international seafarers and placed in its vault beneath the Pamir chapel, which serves as a Columbarium (place of memory), are the urns of those whose lives were intertwined with the sea.
An ensemble of three-storey brick eaves houses built in 1601 stands in front of St. Jacob's. These served as residences for the pastors and preachers of St. Jacob's Church.